Good morning – I hope you all had a great weekend! For me it was just so nice to be able to do whatever I wanted – or needed – to do after the last month of holiday activities.
My biggest achievement was conquering the mountain of recipes I had accumulated over the last year (again…sigh). They are now all filed in their respective binders and my resolution is to file them as I get them instead of letting a huge pile develop. And I’m absolutely not going to count how many times I’ve made that resolution. This is the year – and I’m counting on Pinterest to help – I’ll just keep all the recipes that look good there instead of in a pile on my kitchen counter. How do you like to keep track of your favorite recipes?
Are you wondering about the announcement I mentioned in the title? Well – it has to do with a few of the goals I mentioned last week, as well as the word I’ve chosen for 2013: change. Two of my blogging/business goals will result in a few changes around here that I wanted to let you know about. Both replacing income and balancing work and family will require one important thing: time. In order to find that time I’m going to scale back a bit on here on the blog, and the biggest change will be the end of Monday’s Menu even though it brings me a fair amount of traffic each week. Besides time, these thoughts entered my decision:
- There are almost four years of weekly menus here at AOC, so there are lots of ideas and inspiration for eating seasonal, whole foods that are simple and inexpensive. By the way, these are very easy to find – click the “Categories” tab on the welcome box in the sidebar and scroll down to “weekly menus.” Then simply choose the menus according to season.
- I’m compiling the best menus into ebooklets (look for the free Winter edition soon!) and they will be combined into a larger ebook after all four seasons have been published.
- I’m actually a bit bored with the Monday’s Menu post and would like to focus on the main three areas of the blog: DIY, recipes, and gardening.
As for posting, here’s what I’m thinking for the coming year (which of course is always open to change…)
- Tuesdays: Garden (gardening tips, updates, and the Tuesday Garden Party)
- Thursdays: DIY (all home/furniture, etc. makeovers; any Thrift Store Transformations will move to this day from Tuesdays)
- Fridays: Recipe (anything food related counts as well as regular recipes)
I’ll leave Wednesdays open and if there’s a giveaway, review, or something I just want to share with you all, it will be on that day. I hope this sounds good to you guys and that you understand – please let me know your thoughts in the comments if you any. Wait. That didn’t sound right – I know you all have thoughts (and probably way more profound than this!), just if you have any about these changes (grin).
So here we are at the last Monday’s Menu, and like most Januarys it has us eating a bit from the pantry and trying to use up things left over from the holidays (like the extra turkey I bought during the sales that we will have this month). Plus lots of soups and oven meals like baked pasta and chicken – I’m cold most of the time, brrr.
Monday– Ham & Potato Chowder, Sourdough Artisan Bread, Salad
Tuesday– Roasted Chicken & Root Vegetables, sauteed corn (frozen from the garden), salad
Wednesday– Chicken-Vegetable Curry (using leftover chicken), brown rice
Thursday– Baked Ziti (or penne, or whatever), green salad with cranberries and feta
Friday– Baked salmon, Parmesan Rice Cakes (using leftover rice), roasted vegetables
Saturday– Homemade Greek-style Pizza