- ¼ c. mayonnaise (preferably homemade)
- 2 Tb. lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- ⅓ c. Parmesan (adds more body to the dressing- you can omit if you only want it on the salad)
- 1-2 tsp. anchovy paste or 2-4 anchovy fillets (OR 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce)
- ½ tsp. cracked black pepper
- salt to taste (usually don't need)
- ½ to ¾ c. olive oil (start with less and add more if desired)
- (NOTE: if I'm using the anchovies, I add a drizzle of honey to the dressing to cut the acidity- no need for it if using Worcestershire as it is usually has a sweetener)
- Place the first six ingredients into the bowl of a food processor or jar of a blender. Blend until garlic is chopped and all is combined.
- With motor running, add the oil in a stream to let the dressing emulsify together. Add honey, if using, and salt to taste and blend again.
- Store in refrigerator.
1. Cut 2 pieces (or more) of bread into cubes and place in a small bowl - 2 min.
2. Drizzle olive oil (or garlic olive oil-yum) over the cubes (about a tsp.) and sprinkle with a seasoning - we like our basic spice rub - 1 min.
3. Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes (less for more chewy croutons, more for more crunchy - you get to choose!) - 10 min.
4. Cool and toss on salad - 5 min.
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2011 and has been updated with all new photos, clearer formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Other salad dressing recipes you may enjoy: