Oh my gosh, I’m so excited to share this easy diy felt wreath pillow with you all! Why? Oh, so many things: it’s a sweet, subtle Christmas decoration (my favorite kind), it’s SO easy you will be shocked, it’s no-sew (or low-sew if you choose to whip up your own pillow cover from vintage napkins like I did), it’s fun and quick to make (really – not kidding!), and it cost me all of $2 (the cost of the felt, since I had all the other materials). See – exciting, huh?
But I think it gets even better because it’s actually a knockoff of a pillow I found on Birch Lane (a fun new home furnishings line with modern and traditional pieces at reasonable prices) and I knew right away I wanted to make a diy version of this cute pillow. But that’s not the ‘even better’ part! This is:
- I was actually contacted by Birch Lane about collaborating with them after I had decided to make a version of their pillow (again- truth!) and when I mentioned this, they agreed it would be fun to give away one of the wreath pillows to a lucky reader, too! Isn’t that great? So if you want to make one, you can, and if you don’t, you can enter the giveaway (through the Raffelcopter at the bottom of the post) and you may win one! Cool, huh?
Since I was already making a version of the wreath pillow, I was sent a pair of these amazing green pintucked pillows, which I think compliment the wreath pillow perfectly for the holidays. I am so excited about how these look on our couch and can’t wait to do our full Christmas decorating (this bit you see was just for the photo staging, ha!). Oh, and on a side note – do you know how hard it is right now to be a green lover in home decor? Seriously, everything is gray, blue, yellow, or red, so I was pretty happy to see these offered in green.
Okay, ready to see how easy it is to make a felt wreath pillow?
- White or cream pillow, your choice of size. You can use a premade pillow or one you have, or you can do what I did: sewed up the sides of 2 vintage linen napkins, leaving an opening on one end, inserted a pillow form I already had, and sewed up the opening.
- 1/4 yard of cream felt (this was $2). I didn’t use all of it, so you may get away with less – 1/4 yd is easiest to get cut.
- 2-inch paper leaf pattern. I used this one, but you could make your own easily.
- Glue gun and glue sticks.
- Pearls for accent ‘berries.’ I thought about using vintage buttons or jewelry findings, too, so use anything you think would look good. Our pillow will be on our couch, so I went with pearls since they are lower profile for people sitting against it.
1. Use a plate to make a circle on your pillow with a pencil. Choose a size that allows you to have a row of leaves on each side of the circle line and still be centered (for reference, this is a 16-inch pillow and my plate is 8 inches).
2. Use a pencil to trace around the paper leaf pattern onto two layers of felt and cut them out (more than two and they move around too much). Repeat, repeat, repeat. I did this while watching TV one evening – it might’ve taken 30 to 45 minutes.
3. Arrange felt leaves onto pillow. I laid the outside and inside rows together and then layered a top row on them, filling gaps with any extra leaves.
4. Glue leaves to pillow cover. Remove the top layer of leaves and then glue the first layer of leaves one at a time. All you need is one drop of glue on the bottom part of the leaf at this point. Add the top layer of leaves, gluing the bottom of the leaf and making sure the edges overlap like your plan. Once all the leaves are set to your liking, go back through and glue any part of the leaves that stick up or are loose. (this part took all of 15 minutes!)
5. Add pearl ‘berries.’ You can glue the pearls, but I chose to hand sew them on, again since I knew people would be sitting against it, I didn’t want them to come off as easily. Plus they had holes and I didn’t want them to show.
Add however many pearl accents you’d like – I only added a few here and there, but more would be nice, too.
That’s it – I love how easy it really is and how great it looks!
So, you have a choice to make one yourself or enter the giveaway below for a chance to win the original Vienna Wreath Pillow Cover – but of course you can always do both! (note: the giveaway will run all week, ending at midnight on Friday the 28th and you can enter everyday by tweeting if you want!)
Disclosure: I was provided with two pillow covers for this post – as usual, all thoughts and opinions are mine alone. 🙂