- About 4 cups of any vegetables, chopped or sliced (depending on the type) into roughly equal pieces
- About 2 Tb. olive oil
- 1 Tb. minced garlic (3-4 large cloves)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (or to taste, and of course it's optional, but so good...)
- optional: herbs and seasonings (Italian, chili powder, onion powder, etc.)
- **OR a couple teaspoons of a good, basic spice rub**
- Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl as they are chopped. NOTE: If using any "hard" vegetables like potatoes, carrots, and cauliflower, steam them until tender-crisp first.
- Toss the vegetables with the oil and seasonings.
- Add mixture to a grill basket over high heat in a grill that's been preheated. Evenly distribute them, cover the grill and let them sit without stirring for a few minutes (this will be less if making only a few cups of veggies, more if the basket is full - you get the idea) to help the juices evaporate.
- Stir them around, close the lid again and cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. This may be less depending on the vegetable (especially single, smaller vegetables like green beans) - keep a good watch on them, as with any grilled foods.
- Taste for tenderness when they are starting to char and look cooked through, adjusting cooking time as necessary.
- Serve them as a side, over rice, in pasta, or lining a tortilla- they are so versatile!
1. Asian flavor: add some sesame oil and soy sauce instead of the olive and salt. And for spiciness, our favorite Sriracha sauce adds a nice bite.
2. Curry: adding a teaspoon or so of curry powder before grilling and then toss them with a can of coconut milk after they're cooked and serve over rice.
3. Pasta Salad: Purposely make extra to have enough to add to a pasta salad
the next day, maybe with leftover grilled chicken and a balsamic vinegar - two dinners for one!
Other grilling recipes you may like:
- Amazing Garlic Green Beans with Skillet or Grill Options
- Basic Spice Rub for Grilling & Roasting
- Greek Style Grilled Beef Lettuce Wraps
- Grilled Shrimp and Vegetable Tacos with Chipotle-Yogurt Sauce
- Easy Grilled Potato ‘Planks’
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you – thanks so much! Plus you can trust I’ll only share what I love. (You can always read our entire disclosure page here.)