- 1-1/3 c. pearl or hulled barley
- 4 c. chicken broth (increase to 4-1/2 for hulled barley)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ¼ c. chopped fresh herbs of choice: parsley, chives, thyme (or a mix)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder, to taste
- ¼ tsp. cayenne (optional, to taste)
- Optional additional vegetables (see note)
- Yogurt and chutney for serving, optional
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a 4 to 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours (for pearl barley) to 8 hours (for hulled) or on HIGH for 3 for pearl or 4 hours for hulled.
- Serve with yogurt and chutney, if desired.
More easy side dishes you may like:
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you – thanks so much! Plus you can trust I’ll only share what I love. (You can always read our entire disclosure page here.)