- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen (if using fresh, cut off cob, scraping ears as you go)
- 1 small onion, diced (or half large)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced (or half large)
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced (about 1-1/2 tsp.)
- 1 TB. sea salt
- ½ to 1-1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (to taste - we like it spicy at the larger amount, start small so you can see what you'd like)
- Filtered room temperature water*
- Quart mason jar + fermenting lid
- Mix all the ingredients - except the water - in a medium bowl. Use a wooden spoon to stir and press the vegetables for a couple minutes to start to release the juices.
- Pack the ingredients into a clean, quart jar. Use the back of the wooden spoon to press everything down firmly in the jar 1-2 inches below the rim.
- Pour the water on top, covering the vegetables completely. If needed, weigh them down with a glass weight to keep them under the brine.
- Cover the jar with the easy fermenter lid (or another airlock lid or canning lid, though you will need to burp it if using a regular lid). Mark the date on the lid or jar.
- Ferment at room temperature for 5 days (or until desired flavor), checking occasionally to make sure the vegetables are still submerged. You should see bubbles in the vegetables.
- Once it is done, replace the easy fermenter lid with a regular storage or canning lid and place in the refrigerator for cold storage.
More simple recipes you may like:
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you – thanks so much! Plus you can trust I’ll only share what I love. (You can always read our entire disclosure page here.)