- ¾ lb. pasta, any shape or type
- 1 to 1-1/2 c. prepared basil pesto
- 2 c. chopped cooked chicken
- 1 c. quartered artichoke hearts (marinated, canned, or frozen)
- ½ c. chopped dried tomatoes*
- ½ c. sliced Kalamata olives
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 Tb. olive oil (a garlic-flavored oil is wonderful)
- ¼ c. cheese, either grated parmesan or crumbled feta
- Start water to boil in a large pot for pasta.
- Gather your fresh ingredients and start chopping, adding them to a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients and serve from.
- When water boils, add the pasta to the water and cook according to package directions.
- Saute onions in olive oil until softened, add pesto to heat through over low while pasta cooks.
- Drain pasta, reserving a cup of the water, and add it to the large bowl. Scrape the pesto and onions over the pasta and mix everything well, tossing in cheese and a bit of the reserved pasta water as you do for creaminess.**
- Serve immediately with extra cheese for garnishing.
**adding the pasta water is optional, though it's a great way to add a bit more moisture to any pasta dish.
1. For meatless meals, substitute garbanzo beans for the chicken
2. This is also good with leftover pulled pork used instead of chicken
3. Add spinach to the bowl and let the hot pasta "cook" it as you're tossing or layer it on a serving plate for a true one-dish meal.
Other go-to dinners you may like: