- ½ c. brown sugar (white sugar is okay, too)
- 1-1/3 c. shredded zucchini
- 1 egg
- ¼ c. oil (light olive, melted coconut, expeller pressed sunflower or walnut oils work)
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ c. chopped nuts (totally optional, but we love it with walnuts)
- sugar-cinnamon mixture, or plain sugar, to dust pans (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or oil a 8"x 4" loaf pan and coat with a teaspoon of sugar-cinnamon; tap out any excess sugar (while it's optional, this makes the loaf really good - trust me).
- In a mixing bowl beat together the sugar, zucchini, and egg. Add oil and vanilla; mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir.
- Fold in the nuts, if using.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle the top with a little raw sugar for more crunch, if desired. Bake for 45-50 minutes*, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on a rack.
**This freezes really well- I've had it up to 6 months in the freezer with great results.
CHOCOLATE CHIP VARIATION: Add ¾ cup chocolate chips at the same time as the nuts (or instead of the nuts).
Other Zucchini Recipes You may Like
Note: Originally published in 2009, this recipe has been updated with new photos and printable recipe.