- 1 c. sour cream
- ½ c. buttermilk (add 1-1/2 tsp. vinegar to milk to equal ½ c. if you can't find real buttermilk)
- 1 TB. lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 TB. dried parsley, or 3 TB. chopped fresh
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¾ tsp. sea salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ⅛-1/4 tsp. dried dill (to taste) or 1 tsp. fresh
- Combine sour cream, buttermilk, and lemon juice in a pint jar or quart mixing bowl. Shake or whisk to mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and shake (or whisk) again until well combined. If using a bowl, transfer to a dressing container with lid.
- *NOTE: If you like your dressing thicker, mix the sour cream and seasonings first, then add the buttermilk slowly until you reach the desired consistency.*
- Refrigerate one or more hours before using, and taste to adjust seasonings after dressing.
- For a thicker dip: increase sour cream by ¼ cup (or, conversely, add more milk, a little at a time if a thinner consistency is desired).
- Shake well before each use.
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2011 and has been updated with all new photos, clearer formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Here are a few more of our favorite homemade dressings:
Mason Jar Gift-Ranch Salad Dressing & Printable Tag (our classic recipe made into a mix with directions)