- ½ c. soy sauce
- ¼ c. sugar (white, brown, palm/coconut, sucanat, etc.)
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped fine
- ½ tsp. grated fresh ginger
- ⅛-1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper, or to taste*
- 3 Tbl. rice vinegar
- ½ tsp. cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- Make the Sauce:
- Combine the soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper, if using, in a small saucepan.
- Stir the cornstarch or arrowroot into the rice vinegar in a separate small bowl, then add to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, lower heat to medium and let simmer for about 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened and reduced a bit. Use right away or store in the refrigerator for 1+ months.
- To make Teriyaki Chicken & Rice:
- Make the sauce and start rice to cook: brown rice needs 45 minutes, white rice 20.
- Marinate the chicken: you can do this the first 20 minutes while the brown rice is cooking, or start the marinade earlier if using white rice. Marinate boneless chicken breasts, tenders, or thighs in half the sauce (or just enough needed to coat one side, turning halfway through to evenly coat).
- Cook the chicken: remove from sauce, (discarding it) and grill or pan-fry the chicken until done, 10-15 minutes.
- Assemble the dish: Add the rice to individual plates or a large platter, slice the chicken and arrange on the rice and drizzle with the remaining homemade teriyaki sauce.
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2009 and has been updated with all new photos, clearer formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Other “pantry basics” you may enjoy: