- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup warm water (use hot water from the tap)
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-2 Tb. olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups unbleached flour (I usually add 1 c. whole wheat)
- cornmeal (optional)
- sauce and toppings of choice
- Add yeast to a mixing bowl. Pour the 1 cup hot tap water over it and mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients and let the mixer run at medium speed until the dough clears the side of the bowl (you can do this by hand: beat vigorously for 30 strokes).
- Let dough rest in the bowl 15-20 minutes while you preheat the oven and prep the toppings.
- On a large baking sheet or pizza pan/stone, sprinkle a bit of cornmeal. With oiled hands, remove the dough from the bowl and pull/shape into a general rectangle or circle (depending on your pan), then lay it on top of your cornmeal coated pan. Using a rolling pin or your hands, flatten and stretch the dough to fill the pan.
- Bake the dough for 10 minutes in a 425 degree oven (you don't have to, but it ensures a fully cooked center crust, no matter how many toppings you add).
- Remove prebaked crust from the oven and spread with your toppings: sauce, shredded cheese, cooked meat and chopped vegetables.
- Place topped pizza back into oven and bake for 10-15 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and toppings are browned.
- Slide the whole pizza from the pan to a cutting board and slice into pieces.
Click to go back to page 1 & tutorial
Here are some ways we use this dough: