- Put in a large roasting pan:
- 3 Tb. olive oil
- about 6 lbs. cored, cut in half tomatoes (1/2 plum, ½ slicing) in a single layer, cut side down
- ½ large onion, chopped
- any vegetable on hand: zucchini, peppers, carrots, celery (optional)
- 5 or 6 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- 4 Tb. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. each dried herbs of choice: thyme, oregano, basil OR 1 Tb fresh, chopped
- about 1 tsp. each salt and pepper
- Roast for 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove skins with tongs, as desired.
- Process briefly in a blender or processor for a chunky sauce, or more for a smooth sauce.
- Use right away, or pour into quart-size freezer containers, label and freeze.
Here are more garden-to-table recipes from my Tuesdays in The Garden friends for you to enjoy your garden harvests:
Lemon Balm-Lavender Iced Tea at The Freckled Rose
Pickled Vegetables at Hearth and Vine
Roasted Garlic Salad Dressing at SimplifyLiveLove
Homemade Apple Chips at Frugal Family Home
How to Freeze Corn on the Cob at Homemade Food Junkie
Note: This recipe for roasted tomato sauce was originally published in 2009 and has been updated with larger photos, new formatting, and printable recipe. Enjoy!