- 3 Tb. butter
- ¼ c. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1-1/2 c. milk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 c. shredded cheese (sharp cheddar, Fontina, Gruyere, Gouda, or a combination)
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced thin with a mandoline or food processor
- ½ of a large onion, diced
- Make the cheese sauce: melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Stir the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add the milk, whisking over medium heat until the sauce is thickened and bubbly. Add the garlic and 1 cup of the cheese, stirring to melt. Remove from the burner and set aside.
- Butter the crock of a 4 to 6 qt. slow cooker. Layer half of the potatoes evenly on the bottom, and sprinkle all of the diced onions over the potatoes. Pour half of the cheese sauce over the layers, spreading as needed to cover all the potatoes.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese over the top.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours or on high for 4 hours.*
Note: this article was originally published in 2013 and has been updated with all new photos and printable recipe.
Other slow cooker recipes you may like:
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you – thanks so much! Plus you can trust I’ll only share what I love. (You can always read our entire disclosure page here.)