I know you’ll love this Italian style pot roast recipe as much as my family does! It’s got all the things going for it that make it a keeper:
- you can throw everything in a slow cooker and forget about it (seriously. love.)
- it’s seasoned with wine, garlic, and Italian herbs to change it up a bit from regular pot roast
- there’s lots of tender beef and flavorful vegetables
- it makes a wonderful au jus to use as a gravy for mashed potatoes
Now, not being Italian and all, I’m the first one to admit that I have no idea if they eat anything like this in Italy. But how else to describe a roast that has wine, mushrooms, lots of garlic and Italian seasonings? From an American standpoint, Italian pretty much covers it.
Not to be overlooked in all this easy and convenient part of slow cooker recipes is the fact that this is SO good. Especially when served with garlic and sour cream mashed potatoes. So, so good.
Oh, and did I mention the bacon? Now I know you’ll want to try this! Pancetta is probably more Italian, but either works to deliver even more flavor, so it’s all good. If you have time and feel like it, brown the meat first before adding it to the bowl of the slow cooker. As you can see, I was not feeling it this time.
And don’t forget this kitchen tip for having bacon available in just a few strips at a time for recipes like this – it’s a quick video which I pretty much do with every pound of bacon we get.
Want to make it even more amazing? Serve it with garlic & sour cream mashed potatoes and I promise your family will be begging you to make this combo regularly. This is awesome cold-weather comfort food at it’s best!
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-4 lbs)
- salt and pepper
- 2 14-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 c. dry red wine (can substitute with beef broth)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. each: basil, thyme, and oregano
- 3 slices bacon
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Layer onions, carrots and mushrooms (if using) in the bowl of a 4 to 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Season roast with salt and pepper and place on top of vegetables in cooker.
- Add tomatoes around the edge and pour wine (or broth) over all.
- Mix garlic and herbs together and spread evenly over the top of the roast; lay the bacon slices on top.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, turn to LOW and cook for 7-8 hours (or cook on LOW for 10 hours).
- Transfer roast to a cutting board and slice against the grain. Arrange on a platter with the vegetables and spoon some of the juices over all. Pass the remaining juice at the table along with a side dish of mashed potatoes.