Satisfying. Hearty. Real. Easy. So good for you. And just waiting to be accompanied by a good loaf of bread. What’s left to think about other than the ingredient list?
White beans– cannelli, navy, or Great Northern, your choice. Use cooked beans- cook them right before assembling the stew or do what I did and defrost some cooked beans from the freezer (you could also use canned, but you’ll be paying three times as much…). Boneless pork, cut into cubes. I used pork shoulder. Chopped onions and carrots.
Minced garlic – more is better – and chicken broth. Italian seasoning and red wine. This is gonna be good…
In the last 30 minutes, add chopped kale, chard, or spinach and then set in on high to finish cooking. Who knew such good food could be so easy? Not to mention inexpensive – the whole pot came in under $5.00.PRINT
Slow Cooker Pork Stew
- 4-1/2 c. cooked white beans (buy 1 lb. dry to cook or 3 cans)
- 1-1/2 lbs. boneless pork, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 c. red wine
- 3 c. chopped kale, chard, or spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place beans, cubed pork, onion, carrots, and garlic into the bowl of a large slow cooker.
- Add broth, seasoning, and wine. Cover and cook on Low for 7 hours or High for 3-1/2.
- Add the chopped greens, stir, cover, and continue cooking for another 30 minutes on High.
- Season to taste.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
This is linked to: