- 2 Tb. active dry yeast (instant works, too)
- ½ c. warm water
- ½ c. butter, softened
- ¼ c. honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup lukewarm buttermilk or milk
- 4-1/2-5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- Dissolve the yeast in the ½ cup warm water in a glass measure. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add the eggs and mix, scraping the sides. Add the milk and yeast mixture.
- Add 4-1/2 cups of flour and the salt, mixing until combined. Change to dough hook and knead for 2-3 minutes only, just until no longer tacky, adding a tablespoon or two of flour, if needed.
- Let sit in bowl, covered, to rise for one hour. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead a couple of times, then let rest 3 minutes.
- Divide into 24 equal pieces, shaping each into a ball and placing in a buttered 13x9-inch baking dish with the pieces touching.
- Let rise, covered for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Click to go back to page 1 & the tutorial
Want more easy, you’ll-never-buy-bread-again recipes?