- ½ of a medium head of green cabbage (about 4 cups shredded/chopped)
- 2 cups shredded/chopped purple cabbage (or use 6 cups all green)
- 1 small onion, preferably sweet, sliced thinly or chopped
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tb. rice vinegar
- 2 Tb. soy sauce
- 1 Tb. sesame oil
- 1 Tb. minced garlic
- 1 Tb. honey
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger (or ½ tsp. dried)
- 2-3 tsp. sriracha sauce (or other hot sauce) or more/less to taste
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 2 Tb. mayonnaise optional for a creamier dressing
- sesame seeds
- Shred the cabbage by hand or using the slicing blade of a food processor (you'll need to chop it a bit by hand still to take care of larger pieces).
- Combine the cabbage and remaining vegetables in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a 2-cup measure, adding the hot sauce at the end and tasting to adjust to your taste. Pour over the cabbage mixture and mix well.
- Serve with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Omit Soy Sauce and sesame oil; add 1 Tb. fish sauce and the juice of one lime. Increase the oil to ⅓ cup. This is especially good made with Napa (Chinese) Cabbage.
To make ahead: Prepare full recipe and hold in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours before serving.
To make a day or more ahead: Prepare vegetables and dressing, storing separately in the refrigerator and mixing about 30 min. to an hour before serving for best flavor.
Note: this recipe was originally published in 2011 and has been updated with all new photos, clearer formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
More Favorite Slaws
Visit these Tuesdays In The Garden bloggers for more delicious spring garden-to-table recipes!
Easy Garden Stir Fry @ The Freckled Rose
Raspberry-Mint Lemonade via Frugal Family Home
Springtime recipes @ Homemade Food Junkie
Farm to Table Pasta @ Simplify Live Love