I could easily fill a post about thankfulness just with the “normal” things I’m grateful for:
- my husband
- my kids
- my extended family
- our church
- lovely house
Well, see, that’s almost ten right there- pretty much a no brainer.
But what if I go deeper? Try to remember some things from the last few weeks and months that caused me to see things in a new way, live fully in the moment and draw closer to God?
This is what I’m learning from keeping a “Thankfullness Journal” – that looking for things to write down in the journal daily (or more realistically, a couple times a week) really DOES bring me closer to the One who works out all things together for our good. And gratefullness and contendedness go hand-in-hand.
- Laughing with my family.
- A husband who cleans up doggie doo (remember the rug story?).
- Ripe golden raspberries all the way into October!
- My daughter and her friend singing to the radio as they work on art projects.
- Brian nuzzling my neck as I’m cooking in the kitchen.
- How our dog wags his tail in delight any time I come near.
- Fitting 11 half-pint jars in my canner using a new rack instead of the normal nine.
- The Pee-Gee hydrangea out the kitchen window in the fall: pink and white blooms with red and gold foliage.
- My son calling because he was excited to tell me about the double minors he decided on in college (any mothers of young-adult sons will know how wonderful this was- a spontaneous call!).
- My grinning daughter turning to me during a singing/worship service and saying, “I can’t stop smiling!” Ahhhh, be still my heart…
And it goes without saying that I‘m grateful to all of you who read and enjoy this blog. Thanks for the emails that encourage me and the comments that engage me.
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?