3 Ingredient Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce
A 15 minute, 3-ingredient slightly sweet fruit sauce that’s a delicious topping for ice cream and cake desserts as well as breakfasts like waffles, pancakes and toast.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- 2 thick stalks rhubarb, chopped (2 to 2–1/2 c.)
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown/white sugar)*SEE NOTE
- 1/4 cup water (or more as desired for thinning)
- 2–1/2 cup sliced strawberries (about 1 pint)
- Add rhubarb, sugar, and water to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook at a simmer 5 to 7 minutes until rhubarb is breaking down and tender.
- Add strawberries and cook another 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and blend mixture with an immersion blender in the pan until smooth (alternately, carefully transfer the hot mixture to a blender and whir until smooth).
- Refrigerate until serving or freeze to store longer.** Use as a thicker spread as-is, or thin to a pourable consistency with more water as needed.
*Other sweeteners work as well: try an equal amount of maple syrup or 1/4 c. of honey (since it’s a bit sweeter than sugar).
**TO FREEZE: fill clean freezer-safe containers (I use half-pint sized) three-quarters full to leave room for expansion, attach lid and freeze 6 months to a year.
A couple more favorite rhubarb & strawberry recipes you may like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables