Asian Asparagus Noodle Salad (or Other Seasonal Vegetables)
- 1 pound asparagus spears green beans, broccoli or other seasonal vegetable, trimmed
- 1/2 pound noodles spaghetti, soba, etc.
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 6 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey or sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce or red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- sesame seeds and chopped parsley for garnish
- Boil noodles in a large pot of salted water. Set the timer for 2 minutes before they will be done.
- While the noodles are cooking, slice the asparagus spears diagonally into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl or separate cutting board. Trim and slice the carrots and onions, keeping them in another bowl or cutting board.
- Make the dressing: Combine the soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and Sriracha or red pepper flakes in a small 1-cup measure. Whisk in the sesame and vegetable oils until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the asparagus spears to the boiling noodles when the timer goes off, and cook for the remaining 2 minutes. Drain and rinse well with cold water.
- Return noodles and asparagus to the pot for mixing (or a serving bowl). Add the carrots and onions and pour the dressing over all. Mix well.
- Place salad on a platter (or leave in serving bowl), and garnish with the sesame seeds and chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately or can be made ahead and refrigerated a few hours up to 24 hours.
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published June 2009.
Other Simple Salads to Try:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists