The Best Sausage and Lentil Stew Recipe
The best lentil stew with sausage recipe ever. It contains a couple of unique ingredients and makes great leftovers for lunches!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (mild or hot – we like hot)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 c. chicken broth
- 1–1/2 c. water
- 1 lb. (2-1/4 c.) dry lentils, rinsed
- 3 cans (14-15oz) stewed tomatoes (or regular canned tomatoes, cut up)
- 1/2 tsp. tarragon
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4–1/2 tsp. hot sauce (omit if using hot sausage)
- (optional: 1/2 tsp. sugar if using regular tomatoes)
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large stockpot. Add the sausage and cook until brown. Add onions and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add broth, water, and lentils.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and spices.
- Bring back to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 45-50 minutes.
This popular recipe was originally published in February of 2009 and has been updated with new photos, formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Other Soups & Stews You May Like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables