Spiced Carrot Bread Recipe (Maple Sweetened, Whole Wheat)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter melted (plus more for greasing)
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x4-inch loaf pan with softened butter using a pastry brush (or line the pan with parchment and grease only the ends).
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup stir together the wet ingredients with a fork: yogurt, maple syrup, butter, and egg. Pour this into the dry ingredients and mix just until the flour is combined. Fold in the carrots along with the nuts (if using) - the dough will be thick.
- Spread the dough in the prepared pan, using a spatula to smooth the top evenly. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a metal rack to cool completely.
When cool, make optional glaze:
- Combine softened cream cheese** and maple syrup with a whisk until smooth. If needed, use a bit more syrup to thin more, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Use a spoon to pour evenly over the loaf.
- Refrigerate to set glaze.
Other Easy Quick Breads To Try:
Want more lower sugar recipes? Sign up on the form below for AOC’s newsletter and receive access to the Subscriber Library with our Lower Sugar Recipes eBook and lots more!
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Lower Sugar Recipes