Delicious Cheesy Crust Ham Pie (A Leftover Ham Recipe)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked chopped ham
- 1 cup frozen peas*
- 1 cup chopped green beans fresh or frozen*
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese preferably sharp
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms (or any other vegetable you're using that may need cooking first) and garlic - cook for another few minutes.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, flour and mustard and cook about 1 minute. Slowly stir in the milk and cook until slightly thickened, about another 5 minutes.
- Add the ham, peas and green beans. Stir together and transfer to 8 1-cup ramekins or a 13x9-in baking pan. Set aside.
- Pulse the flour and cayenne in a food processor; add the softened butter and pulse until the flour resembles course cornmeal.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface, sprinkle with the cheese, and knead until the dough can be formed into a ball (it may look too dry, but after a few minutes kneading it will come together).
- Roll the dough out between wax paper to about 1/4" thickness and cut into rounds with biscuit cutters. Re-roll until the crust is used up. Place crust pieces on top of the filling in the ramekins or baking dish (it's okay for the filling to showing through).
- Bake until filling is bubbling and top is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes for 1-cup ramekins or 30-35 minutes for the baking dish. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published April 2009.
Other Real Food Baked Dishes to Try:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists