Delicious Cheesy Crust Ham Pie (A Leftover Ham Recipe)
Use up leftover ham and any vegetables you have in a creamy filling topped with a savory cheesy crust. Baked in optional ramekins for easy serving and you have a pot pie you can serve to guests!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked, chopped ham
- 1 cup frozen peas*
- 1 cup chopped green beans (fresh or frozen)*
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, preferably sharp
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms (or any other vegetable you’re using that may need cooking first) and garlic – cook for another few minutes.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, flour and mustard and cook about 1 minute. Slowly stir in the milk and cook until slightly thickened, about another 5 minutes.
- Add the ham, peas and green beans. Stir together and transfer to 8 1-cup ramekins or a 13×9-in baking pan. Set aside.
- Pulse the flour and cayenne in a food processor; add the softened butter and pulse until the flour resembles course cornmeal.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface, sprinkle with the cheese, and knead until the dough can be formed into a ball (it may look too dry, but after a few minutes kneading it will come together).
- Roll the dough out between wax paper to about 1/4″ thickness and cut into rounds with biscuit cutters. Re-roll until the crust is used up. Place crust pieces on top of the filling in the ramekins or baking dish (it’s okay for the filling to showing through).
- Bake until filling is bubbling and top is golden brown, about 20-25 minutes for 1-cup ramekins or 30-35 minutes for the baking dish. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
*The vegetables (besides onion) are just a guide – use whatever you have on hand. Diced carrots (sauté with onion), chopped broccoli or cauliflower, corn, cut up asparagus, and chopped kale and spinach area all great.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 351
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Sodium: 815mg
- Fat: 22.3g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 23.2g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Protein: 16.1g
- Cholesterol: 73
Keywords: ham, pot pie, ham pie, casserole, leftover ham, cheese, dinner, ramekins
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published April 2009.
Other Real Food Baked Dishes to Try:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists