Cheesy Sourdough Batter Bread
- 2 cups sourdough starter 18 oz.
- 1 cup water 8 oz.
- 1 cup lukewarm milk 8 oz.
- 1 tablespoons olive oil 1 oz.
- 1 tablespoons honey 1 oz.
- 2 ¾ cups unbleached flour
- 2 ⅔ cups whole wheat flour 1 lb. 8 ounces TOTAL flour; I used white whole wheat
- 1 tablespoon salt .6 oz.
- 1 ½ cups diced sharp cheddar cheese* .75 pounds
- The morning of the day you'd like to bake, add to a mixer bowl the active (fed the night before) sourdough starter, water, milk, oil, honey, and flours. Mix for about 3 minutes with a dough hook. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the salt and mix with the hook for another 5 minutes. Cover the mixer bowl with plastic and set aside to rise until doubled, about 4 hours.
- When the dough has doubled, add the cheese and mix with the hook until distributed through the dough.
- Divide between two greased 9"x 5" loaf pans, smoothing the tops as needed (the pans should be filled halfway with the dough). Oil the tops and cover with plastic again to rise for 2 more hours or until the dough is at the top of the pans.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. When hot, bake the loaves for 35-40 minutes, turning as needed for even cooking, until browned.
- Cool for a few minutes in pans before turning out onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or toasted.
Disclosure: affiliate links in this post will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables