Chicken Lime Lettuce Wraps
- 1/3 cup lime juice about 3 small or 2 large limes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut coconut, or olive oil
- 1 small onion cut in half and sliced thinly
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Thai chile or serrano or jalapeno chili minced (optional - 1/2 tsp. dried red pepper flakes or sriracha sauce can be substituted)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or use about 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey, cooked with onion in step 2)
- 2 large carrots peeled and shredded (or shredded cabbage, broccoli, snow peas, etc. and diced red sweet pepper)
- 1 tablespoon minced mint leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 head lettuce separated into leaves (butterhead, romaine or rotisserie)
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon verbena or lemon balm leaves optional
- sweet chili sauce and/or Sriracha optional for serving
- Combine lime juice, honey, fish sauce, and sesame oil in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in a large skillet over med-high heat, add the onions and cook for a couple minutes. Lower heat to medium and add garlic and chile or red pepper flakes and stir together.
- Add chicken and shredded carrots or vegetables and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add the lime juice mixture and mint, stirring together just until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of chicken-lime mixture onto lettuce leaves and serve with optional lemon verbena and sweet chili sauce.
Other quick recipes you may like:
Note: this article was originally published in 2013 and has been updated with new photos, formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists