Chocolate Drizzled Nut Squares Cookie Bars
Chocolate drizzled nut squares are mouthwatering bar cookies with a shortbread crust and caramel-nut layer drizzled with semi-sweet or dark chocolate.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 5 dozen 1x
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. + 6 Tb. butter (1–3/4 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 3 c. flour (I used whole wheat pastry)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1–1/4 c. butter
- 1–1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. honey
- 1/2 c. maple syrup
- 3–1/2 c. whole or lightly broken nuts (any combination- I used mixed nuts and walnuts)
- 1/4 c. whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. salt (decrease to 1/4 tsp. if using salted nuts)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of an 11×17-inch baking pan AND line with parchment paper (trust me, it will make your life easier to do both) leaving a 1-inch overhang on two ends to make it easier to remove the bars.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream sugar and butter until light; add egg and beat well.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder and mix until the dough comes together. Pat evenly into the prepared pan, building up the edges some.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the crust just begins to brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Reduce the oven to 300 degrees. Place a baking pan larger than prepared pan on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any drips that may occur.
- Make the filling by combining the butter, brown sugar, honey, and maple syrup in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for exactly 2-1/2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream, vanilla, salt, and nuts. Pour onto cooled crust and spread evenly.
- Place in oven on a rack over the larger pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling in the center. Cool on a wire rack 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from pan using the parchment overhang onto a large cutting board. Cut into squares and move them slightly apart.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a cup (or baggie) in the microwave for a few seconds and then drizzle over the squares using a spoon or by cutting a tiny bit off the corner of the baggie and squeezing the chocolate out.
- Let harden before storing in an airtight container.
Make Ahead: can freeze up to a month.
Other sweet treats you may like:
Note: this recipe for chocolate drizzled nut squares was originally published in 2011 and has been updated with new formatting, updated images and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables