Chocolate Drizzled Nut Squares Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup + 6 tablespoons butter (equals 1¾ sticks)
- 1 egg
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ¼ cups butter
- 1 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 ½ cups whole or lightly broken nuts any combination- I used mixed nuts and walnuts
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (decrease to 1/4 teaspoon if using salted nuts)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of an 11x17-inch baking pan AND line with parchment paper (trust me, it will make your life easier to do both) leaving a 1-inch overhang on two ends to make it easier to remove the bars.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream sugar and butter until light; add egg and beat well.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder and mix until the dough comes together. Pat evenly into the prepared pan, building up the edges some.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the crust just begins to brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Reduce the oven to 300 degrees. Place a baking pan larger than prepared pan on the bottom rack of the oven to catch any drips that may occur.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, honey, and maple syrup in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for exactly 2-1/2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream, vanilla, salt, and nuts. Pour onto cooled crust and spread evenly.
- Place in oven on a rack over the larger pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling in the center. Cool on a wire rack 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from pan using the parchment overhang onto a large cutting board. Cut into squares and move them slightly apart.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a cup (or baggie) in the microwave for a few seconds and then drizzle over the squares using a spoon or by cutting a tiny bit off the corner of the baggie and squeezing the chocolate out.
- Let harden before storing in an airtight container.
Other sweet treats you may like:
Note: this recipe for chocolate drizzled nut squares was originally published in 2011 and has been updated with new formatting, updated images and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables