Chocolate Topped Oatmeal Bars Recipe
An easy mix-and-pour cookie bar recipe that’s made extra special with the chocolate & nut butter topping. Cut small, since these are rich and delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 48 bars 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups whole rolled oats (not quick)
- 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup nuts, chopped*
- 2/3 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 cups chocolate chips (a 12-oz bag) or chopped chocolate
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter, chunky or smooth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 10 x 15-inch baking sheet** with parchment (for easy removal and cutting) or just lightly grease.
- Mix together the oatmeal, sugar, and nuts. Melt the butter or coconut oil and mix in the vanilla before adding to the oatmeal. Use the same measuring cup from the butter to measure the honey and add it to the oatmeal mixture, stirring all together.
- Press mixture firmly into the prepared pan and bake for 15-17 minutes, until browned. Rotate the pan halfway through baking if needed for even browning.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate and peanut butter together, on low on the stovetop or about one minute in the microwave and stirring to finish melting.
- Pour the chocolate topping over the warm bars, spreading evenly. Let cool before cutting into bars.
*For a coconut-pecan flavor try 1/2 cup pecans + 1/3 c. unsweetened coconut.
**I always make these in a 10×15 pan, but if you want thicker bars, you can use a 13×9 pan but you’ll have to bake a little longer.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 9.4g
- Sodium: 57mg
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
Keywords: cookies, bar cookies, easy recipe, dessert, potluck, holiday food
Other Simple Cookie Recipes You May Like:
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists