Curried Lentils with Bacon & Browned Cabbage (Slow Cook or Stove Top)
- 1-1/4 cup brown lentils rinsed and picked over as needed
- 4 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder use smaller amount with a hot curry, larger amount if mild
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon salt less if using a salted chicken broth instead of water
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
Bacon Browned Cabbage:
- 4 pieces bacon*
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups roughly chopped cabbage (about 1/4 large head)
- 1 or 2 tomatoes diced
- Chopped parsley or chives for garnish optional
- Slow Cooker Method: add all lentil ingredients to the bowl of a slow cooker, stirring to mix. Cook on Low for 4 hours or High for 2 hours until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Oven Top Method: add all ingredients to a large stockpot, stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on medium-low heat, covered, for 40-50 minutes, until lentils are done.
- In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels, crumble and set aside.
- Saute chopped onion in bacon grease over medium heat 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cabbage. Raise heat to medium-high and cook 3-5 minutes to brown cabbage.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a couple tablespoons of water towards the end of cooking to deglaze the pan.
- Scrape the vegetables into the lentil pot and stir well to combine. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, as desired.
- Serve topped with chopped tomatoes, crumbled bacon and optional chives or parsley for garnish.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables