Easy Artisan Bread Recipe
Make the easiest artisan bread with an amazing crust in an enamel Dutch oven – you’ll never go back to store-bought!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 loaves 1x
- Category: Breads
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2– 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3–1/2 cups whole wheat flour (whole wheat white flour is best)*
- 3 cups unbleached flour*
- Put the yeast and salt in a bowl and add the water.
- Add all the flour and mix well.
- Put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap (not airtight). Let set at room temperature for about 1-1/2 hours.
- Put in the refrigerator for up to a week or week-and-a-half. (Or bake right away – cut off what you need, shape, and let sit while pot heats).
- When ready to bake, place an enameled dutch oven, with lid, in a 450 degree oven.
- Dust the dough with flour, grab a quarter or half (depending on the size loaf you want) and cut off piece with a serrated knife. Using well-floured hands, shape gently into a ball and place on a piece of parchment paper resting on a cookie sheet (or in a small round skillet to help shape). Dust the top with more flour.
- Let sit on the counter 30 minutes. Then slash the top of the loaf with a serrated knife.
- Transfer the loaf to the hot dutch oven using the edges of the parchment, replace the lid, and cook for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to cook for another 15 to 17 minutes, or until loaf is a golden brown.
- Remove to a cooling rack for 30 to 60 minutes before cutting.
*If you want to use less WW flour, or the consistency is affected too much, try just 2 cups of WW to 4-1/2 cups of unbleached flour.
NOTE: Prep time doesn’t include rising time.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 76
- Sodium: 245g
- Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 16.1g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2.8g
Keywords: bread, artisan, homemade, easy
Recipe adapted from Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day by J. Hertzberg and Z. Francois and a Cook’s Illustrated story (no link available) on no-knead bread.
Other easy bread recipes you may like:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables