Easy Canned Chipotle BBQ Sauce Recipe
A spicy-sweet sauce that takes about an hour and a half start-to-finish with all the steps included for water-bath canning.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 6 pts. or 12 1/2-pints 1x
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1/2 med. onion)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a 7-ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (*see notes for spice level options)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup honey (or maple syrup, or a combo)
- 4 cups (32 ounces) plain, fresh tomato sauce**
- 3 12-ounce cans organic tomato paste
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoons kosher or pickling salt
- 1 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Saute oil, onion, and garlic in a large, stainless steel stock pot 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 15-20 minutes.
- Blend until smooth with an immersion blender.
- Cook for another 20-25 minutes for flavors to meld and sauce to thicken further, stirring often to prevent sticking. Be careful of spatters – you can partially cover the pot if needed.
- For water-bath canning:***Prepare jars, lids, and canning equipment while sauce is cooking. Remove sauce from heat and ladle into hot, clean jars one at a time with 1/2-inch headspace.
- Remove any air bubbles by running a plastic spatula or knife around the inside of the jars. Wipe rims with a moist towel and attach lids.
- Process both pint and 1/2-pint jars for 20 minutes. Remove to a towel-lined surface and let sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours. Check seals, refrigerating any that didn’t seal, label and store for year to year and a half.
*For a spicier sauce, you can use the whole can, but it will be very spicy. For a less spicy sauce, use 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo – you’ll still get the good, smokey flavor with just a hint of spice.
**Or use an equal amount of organic canned tomato sauce
***TO FREEZE: Let sauce cool a bit and then ladle into freezer-safe storage containers, leaving 1-2 inches headspace for expansion. Label and use within a year.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 32
- Sugar: 6.1g
- Sodium: 94mg
- Fat: 0.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: BBQ Sauce, bar-b-que, chipotle, grilling, canning, tomatoes, preserving
Visit our Preserving Recipe Index for lots more canning recipes!
*This giveaway has ended! Congratulations to Mary, comment #120!*
The giveaway package:
- FreshTECH HarvestPro™ Sauce Maker: The new Ball® FreshTECH HarvestPro™ Sauce Maker is the fourth countertop appliance to join the FreshTECH family, designed to make the most delicious sauces, salsas, dips, spreads and even baby food. (Retail value: $149)
- Case of Collection Elite Wide Mouth Pint Jars: For the first time, the Ball® brand has introduced a line of never-before released blue colored jars. If you’d like another size or glass color, let us know and we’d be happy to swap out! (Retail value: $8.99/case)
- One $5 off coupon to be used on FreshPreservingStore.com
It’s super easy to enter, too! You can enter up to three times – all simply by leaving a comment. Here are the details:
- First, mandatory entry: Leave a comment telling me what you’d create with the sauce maker and jars- that’s it, no boxes or widgets to try and figure out!
- Get an additional entry by sharing about the giveaway on Facebook, then coming back here to leave another comment telling me that you shared.
- Get another entry by sharing on Twitter, again leaving a separate comment to tell me so.
- The giveaway is open until Friday, July 29, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. PST. One winner will be chosen at random and e-mailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact, or another winner will be chosen. Name and address will be provided to Jarden Home Brands who will then mail the giveaway package to the winner.
- This giveaway is open to those living in the continental US with a valid shipping address and readers who are 18 and older.
Disclosure: I received product and/or compensation for this post. As always, the opinions, thoughts, and projects are all mine and I will NEVER promote something I don’t love and think you will find helpful – promise! This post also contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you! For more info, you can read our entire disclosure page here.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables