Easy Slow Cooker Curried Barley with Carrots & Onions
Free up your oven space with this recipe for slow cooker curried barley, a unique and flavorful side dish for any seafood, poultry or meat.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1-1/3 c. pearl or hulled barley
- 4 c. chicken broth (increase to 4-1/2 for hulled barley)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh herbs of choice: parsley, chives, thyme (or a mix)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder, to taste
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne (optional, to taste)
- Optional additional vegetables (see note)
- Yogurt and chutney for serving, optional
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a 4 to 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours (for pearl barley) to 8 hours (for hulled) or on HIGH for 3 for pearl or 4 hours for hulled.
- Serve with yogurt and chutney, if desired.
Add more chopped vegetables like celery, mushrooms, red peppers or peas, if you’d like (add peas during last 1/2-hour of cooking, though).
More easy side dishes you may like:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this post will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables