Easy Slow Cooker Curried Barley with Carrots & Onions
Free up your oven space with this recipe for slow cooker curried barley, a unique and SO flavorful side dish for any seafood, poultry or meat.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 1–1/3 cups pearl or hulled barley
- 4 cups chicken broth (increase to 4–1/2 for hulled barley)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs of choice: parsley, chives, thyme (or a mix)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional, to taste)
- Optional additional vegetables (see note)
- Yogurt and chutney for serving, optional
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a 4 to 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours (for pearl barley) to 8 hours (for hulled) or on HIGH for 3 for pearl or 4 hours for hulled.
- Serve with yogurt and chutney, if desired.
You can add more chopped vegetables like celery, mushrooms, red peppers or peas, if you’d like (add peas during last 1/2-hour of cooking, though).
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Sodium: 396mg
- Fat: 1.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 23.1g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Barley, Curry, Slow Cooker, Crockpot, Side Dish, Carrots, Onions
More easy side dishes you may like:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this post will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables