French Beef Stew Recipe - The Best Stew Ever!
- 6-8 pieces bacon
- 2-3 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast cubed
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 c. dry red wine
- 1-1/2 c. beef broth
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 medium potatoes quartered (optional -omit if serving over Garlic & Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes)
- 1 large onion peeled and cut in half and sliced
- 4-6 large carrots sliced lengthwise (use the larger amount if serving over mashed potatoes)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Chopped fresh parsley for serving
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bacon until crisp; remove to a plate and set aside.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, onion and garlic powders in a shallow bowl. Coat beef cubes in mixture and brown in bacon drippings; remove to a 3-quart casserole dish or 13x9 baking pan.
- Mix wine, broth, garlic, and thyme, and pour over the meat cubes in the pan.
- Cover with lid or foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove pan from oven and increase oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Stir in onions, carrots, and potatoes (if using); replace cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms (and add and additional 1/2 c. broth or water if stew seems dry), return to oven and cook another 15 minutes.
- Top each serving with crumbled bacon and chopped parsley.
Other Stews You May Like:
Slow Cooker Pork-Vegetable Stew (also served with the garlic mashed potatoes!)
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables