Garden Fresh Salsa Cruda & Pico de Gallo
Easy garden fresh salsa recipe you can make into both a smooth, restaurant-style “salsa cruda” and (or) a chunky “pico de gallo.”
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: Makes 3-4 cups 1x
- Category: condiment
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 3 pounds tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, halved
- 2–4 jalapenos, halved (use smaller amount and remove seeds for milder salsa)
- 1 anaheim pepper, halved & seeded
- 1 lime, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- optional diced vegetables for pico de gallo: beans, corn, sweet peppers
- For both salsas: core and quarter the tomatoes. Optional draining step: Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and let sit in a strainer to drain while preparing the other vegetables.
- For Salsa Cruda:* add one half of the remaining ingredients to the bowl of a food processor (roughly chop the half onion first) and the juice of one half of the lime – pulse until ingredients are roughly chopped. Add half of the drained, quartered tomatoes to the processor and whir with ingredients until the desired consistency is reached; transfer to a serving bowl.
- For Pico de Gallo:* dice the remaining half of the ingredients and add to a serving bowl, along with the juice from the other half of the lime. Chop the remaining quartered, drained tomatoes and add to the pico de gallo ingredients and stir together well.
- Salt and pepper both salsas to taste and serve.
*Of course you can just make one type of salsa – just use all the ingredients for whichever type you choose and either process them all for the salsa cruda or hand chop them all for the pico de gallo.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 29
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 207mg
- Fat: .03g
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 6.2g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: salsa, fresh salsa, dips, appetizers, sauce, Tex-Mex
Other Salsa Recipes You May Like:
- My Favorite Thick Salsa for Canning
- Roasted Tomatillo or Green Tomato Salsa
- Quick & Easy Roasted Corn Salsa
- Ultimate Hot Pepper Guide (with tons of recipes, including salsas)
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists