Garlic Shrimp and Green Bean Pasta 30 Minute Meal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter*
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 pound dry whole wheat pasta use any shape - spaghetti, linguini, penne, etc.
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 pound fresh green beans trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound medium to large raw shrimp shelled, deveined, and tails removed**
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until onion is translucent (about the time it takes for the water to boil).
- When the water boils, add the pasta and set a timer for 5 minutes (or half the pasta's cooking time).
- While the pasta cooks, add the wine (or broth) to the onion-garlic mixture along with the dry seasonings. Stir and simmer until the 5-minute pasta timer goes off.
- When the 5 minute timer is done, add the green beans to the boiling pasta and set the timer again for 5 minutes (the water will stop boiling - you can turn up the heat a bit if needed, but everything will still cook whether you do or don't).
- After adding the beans to the pasta, add the raw shrimp to the simmering onion mixture and cook until pink. (It should take about the same time as the timer you have going, but if the shrimp get done sooner, lower the temperature of the skillet to low to not overcook the shrimp.)
- Drain the pasta and beans; add to the skillet (if your skillet isn't large enough, add the shrimp mixture to the larger pasta pot). Pour in the cream and sprinkle with a 1/2 cup of the parmesan, mixing gently to combine.
- Serve immediately right in large skillet (or transfer to a large bowl) topping with remaining 1/4 cup parmesan and chopped basil.
- Use precooked rotisserie chicken in place of the shrimp - 15 minute meal!
- Use cut broccoli in place of the green beans - we like it crisper, so add it only the last 2-3 minutes of the pasta cooking.
- Use cut asparagus in place of green beans.
- Use leftover roasted or grilled vegetables, adding them in with the cream and cheese (yummy!).
Other Easy Weeknight Meals:
Disclosure: I received product and/or compensation for this post. As always, the opinions, thoughts, and projects are all mine and I will NEVER promote something I don’t love and think you will find helpful – promise! This post also uses affiliate links that earn commission based on sales, but doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists