Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake (Pan or Skillet Baked)
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour* (1/8 cup = 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips, about 9 ounces**
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted (optional for decorating)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 10-inch springform pan or a cast iron skillet (no need to oil a well-seasoned skillet, though).
- Beat butter and sugars in the bowl of a mixer until well-blended. Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Add the chips, mixing by hand if needed.
- Using the back of a spoon or a wet hand, spread the dough evenly in the pan or skillet.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until golden. Let cool on a rack.
- If using a skillet: serve right in the pan (preferably with a scoop of ice cream in the middle).
- For a springform pan: run a knife around the edge and then release the sides of the pan, removing the bottom of the pan (or not - it's up to you) and place on a serving platter or cake stand to serve. It can be made up to a day ahead using this option.
Optional Birthday Greeting Directions:
- Melt the chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave at 30 second intervals, or in a saucepan and then transfer to a small baggie.
- Push all of the melted chocolate to the corner of the baggie and snip off a tiny portion of the corner.
- Hold the baggie while twisting the top to push the chocolate out to write the birthday greeting on the cookie. Don't worry - it doesn't have to be perfect!
Other Easy Desserts to Try:
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists