Glazed Orange Rhubarb Muffins
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup whole rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice plus more for glaze
- zest of 1 orange divided
- 3/4 cup diced rhubarb
- 1/4 cup whole rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- remaining orange zest
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 12 muffin cups by greasing or adding cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the first six ingredients well.
- In a 4-cup glass measure combine egg, oil, juice and zest; stir into the dry ingredients, making sure that all is moist but not over mixing. Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill prepared muffin cups about 3/4 full (a spring-loaded large cookie or ice cream scoops works great for this).
- Combine all the topping ingredients in a small bowl and divide it evenly over the tops of the filled muffin cups.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes and then remove to a wire rack - carefully, these are delicate muffins.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by whisking the juice and powdered sugar together until it's a pouring consistency. Use a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the tops of the cooling muffins.
- Serve slightly warm or let cool completely before storing at room temperature for a day or two. These muffins freeze beautifully for a couple months, as well.
Other quick breads you may like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables