Homemade Caramel Dip for Apples Updated with Less Sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 can 14-oz sweetened condensed milk
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients, raise heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly (will take 5-10 minutes).
- Lower heat to medium or med-low (you want to keep a very low boil) and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly (really- this is not the thing to walk away from! It will burn…I know from experience!).*
- Remove from heat, let cool a bit and then pour into a serving bowl and serve warm.
- Refrigerate any leftovers. Microwave a few seconds to soften before using again.
- Remove the pan from the burner and quickly pour the dip into a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl, but DO NOT scrape the bottom. Just leave all that crusty burnt stuff.
- Push caramel through the strainer, leaving any browned bits in strainer. There may be a few small brown flecks in the dip, but it doesn't taste burned when eating.
Other fall recipes you may like:
Crumb-Topped Apple Pie (wonderful drizzled with some of the warmed caramel dip!)
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published August 2012.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables