Homemade Garlic-Mint Garden Insect Spray
A DIY garden bug spray that is easy to make and use, and really works!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 24 hours
- Total Time: 24 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 12 cups
- Category: Organic Garden Bug Spray
- 2 whole heads garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 3 c. mint leaves (and stems, too – I just throw it all in now)
- 2 tsp. dry cayenne pepper
- 12 c. water
- 2 small squirts of biodegradable dishwashing liquid
- Add the garlic and mint to a food processor and pulse for a few seconds.
- Transfer mixture to a large pot and add the cayenne and 12c. water.
- Bring to a boil; remove from heat and let sit overnight.
- Strain into a couple spray bottles (or gallon garden sprayer) and add the two small squirts of dish soap.
- To Use:
- – shake well before each use
- – this mainly repels bugs, though if they rub against it, it can kill them.
- – spray all the leaves on affected plants, including the undersides – preferably on a cloudy day so as not to burn the plants.
- – wait a few days to see the affect and then apply more if needed (many times I’ve only needed to do one application)
– This is like a pepper spray, so you can protect your skin and eyes like you would when using any hot peppers, although the potency is less because it only uses dried cayenne.
– Wait a few days to harvest after using so there isn’t any spicy residuals (I only used 2 applications the whole summer, so there never was any taste to the produce).
– The scent keeps bugs away, but I still had ladybugs and bees, maybe because I only used the spray a few times.
Be sure to check out the video we made, too, with newer results from our bean plants!
And don’t forget to read the Testimonials & FAQ where you’ll find answers to the most common asked questions as well as reader’s results!
Looking for more easy gardening ideas? Those are my favorite kind!
Click to go back to page 1 and the awesome before-and-after shots – and be sure to let me know if you use it and how it worked for you, too!
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables