Easy Homemade Peppermint Mocha (+ Gift Basket Idea)
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups syrups 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 – 1 cup sugar (lower amount makes a “dark” chocolate syrup)
- pinch salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
To make one serving of Peppermint Mocha or Hot Chocolate:
- 1/2 cup warmed milk (1 cup for hot chocolate)
- 1/2 cup strong coffee (omit for hot chocolate)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon peppermint syrup, or to taste
- Optional for serving: whipped cream, marshmallows, crushed peppermint
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and stir for 4-5 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved (mixture should be clear).
- Remove from heat and add the peppermint extract. Let cool and then pour into glass containers to store in the refrigerator.
- Mix cocoa, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Stir in enough boiling water to form a smooth paste. Stir in remaining water.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Let simmer 2-3 minutes (I like the longer time as it makes the syrup a bit thicker), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Let cool.
- Scrape it into a bottle or jar and store in the refrigerator 3-4 weeks
To make a serving of peppermint mocha or hot chocolate:
- Mix first four ingredients in a large mug.
- Top with your choice of whipped cream or marshmallows.
The syrups both last in the refrigerator 1-2 months.
Nutrition information below is for an individual peppermint mocha serving.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 41.9g
- Sodium: 93mg
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7g
- Carbohydrates: 48.4g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
Keywords: peppermint, peppermint mocha, coffee, chocolate, hot chocolate, drinks, holiday drinks
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published in December 2013.
Like other DIY gift basket ideas?
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables