Homemade Whole Wheat Pita Bread
With just 20 minutes hands-on time, you won’t believe how easy it is to make pita bread at home – and how much more AMAZING it tastes than store-bought!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 mins
- Yield: 8 pitas 1x
- Category: Breads
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 2–1/4 cups whole wheat flour (spelt works, too)
- 1 cup unbleached flour (or use all whole grains)
- 1–1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1–1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1–1/4 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients and mix them together – by mixer or by hand.
- Knead by mixer 5 minutes or by hand 8 minutes until you have a soft dough that is tacky to the touch.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic and let rise until doubled, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Turn dough out to lightly floured board, cut in half and place one half under a dampened towel. Divide the other half into four equal portions, shaping each into a ball and placing under the towel. Repeat with the remaining half of dough.
- Let rest 5 minutes. Place a baking/cooling rack directly on the oven rack.
- Use a rolling pin to roll each ball one at a time into a circle about 6 inches in diameter and 1/4 thick on a lightly floured surface. Repeat with one or two more rolls.
- Place the rolled pitas directly on the baking rack in the oven. Set timer for 4 minutes, check for browning and puffing, and remove or continue cooking for up to 1 more minute, if needed.
- While the first pitas are cooking, prepare the next batch.
- When removing the pitas from the oven, stack them together in a kitchen towel to keep them from crisping as they cool. Immediately add the next batch of dough to the rack in the oven, repeating process until all the dough has been cooked.
- Serving Size: 1 pita
- Calories: 121
- Sodium: 291mg
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated Fat: .5g
- Carbohydrates: 18.6g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 3.1g
Keywords: pita, bread, whole wheat
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables