Honey Lemon Rhubarb Butter (To Can or Freeze)
An incredible, easy, three ingredient rhubarb butter sweetened with honey and flavored with lemon that may just change the way you think about rhubarb.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 45 mins
- Yield: 3 8oz. jars 1x
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: American
- 6 cups chopped rhubarb (1–1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- zest & juice of 1 small lemon
- Add all ingredients to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Puree the contents of the pot with an immersion blender (or carefully transfer to a blender and blend, then return to the pot) until smooth.
- Reduce heat all the way to low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until the rhubarb butter is thickened (see photos in recipe for a guide) and doesn’t run when a bit is added to a plate.
- As rhubarb butter nears completion, prepare three 1/2-pint jars and keep hot until needed. Prepare canning lids according to manufacturer’s directions, and start the water heating in a canner.
- When the butter is ready, ladle into 1 jar at a time, leaving 1/4-inch headspace, wiping the rim with a damp cloth, and attaching the lid. Place jar in prepared canner. Fill and close remaining jars.
- Process jars in a boiling-water canner for 15 minutes. Carefully remove to a towel-lined counter and let cool. Check seals before labeling and storing in a cool, dark place.
- Let rhubarb butter cool a bit and divide into freezer-safe jars, leaving 2-inches headspace for expansion. Seal, label and freeze for up to a year.
- Thaw before using and keep in the refrigerator (it will keep in the fridge for a few weeks).
Keywords: rhubarb, rhubarb butter, honey, sauce, jam, preserving recipe, canning, freezing
Other rhubarb recipes you may like:
Subscribe & Get Lower Sugar Recipes