Easy Sourdough Bagels
- 2 cups sourdough starter
- 1 ¼ cups warm water if your starter is thick, use 1/4 cup more
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 ½ to 6 cups flour*
- 1 tablespoon salt
- optional ingredients for bagel dough**
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 egg***
- 1 tablespoon water
- Toppings of Choice sesame or poppy seeds, dried onion flakes, cheese, etc.
- Mix starter, water, oil, flour, and salt together and then let rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough with a dough hook on low speed for about 4 minutes - the dough will be very stiff.
- Transfer to a greased large bowl and let rise for 4 hours. Fold the dough over on itself 2 times (or try to- sometimes I don't always remember both folds)
- Pour out the dough onto a floured surface (a lightly floured tea-towel works great), knead a couple of times, flatten and cut into 12-18 equal pieces (about 5 oz. each).
- Shape the bagels by making each piece into a ball and using your thumb to punch a hole through the middle of the ball, stretching to make the center hole. Set the shaped bagels on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet (12 will fit on one large sheet, if making 18, use two smaller sheets) - they are known for sticking, so this will make removing them much easier.
- Cover the shaped bagels with a damp towel (the one used for cutting works great) and let sit for about an hour.
- Fill a large 12-inch skillet 1/2 to 3/4 full with water and add the tablespoon of soda. Bring it to a boil. Start the oven preheating to 450 degrees at this time.
- When the water is boiling, drop as many bagels as will fit, one at a time, into the boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning at the halfway mark. Use a slotted spoon to place the bagels back on the baking sheet. Continue until all the bagels have been boiled.
- Brush the bagels with an egg glaze (or milk) at this point if you wish, and top with your desired toppings.
- Bake for 14 to 15 minutes, alternating pans at the halfway point if needed. Cool on a rack.
- onion powder & dried flakes for onion bagels
- grated cheese for cheese bagels
- raisins & cinnamon
More sourdough recipes you may like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables