How To Roast And Freeze Beets
Oven-cooked beets freeze beautifully and after thawing taste just like cooked fresh, making them perfect for salads, sides and other recipes.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Wash the beets thoroughly and trim the roots and greens off, leaving about an inch of the tops. For even cooking, cut any large beets in half.
- Place the beets in a shallow baking dish and pour in about 1/4 cup of water.
- Cover well with foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the beets. To check if they’re done, insert a small knife into the thickest parts of the beets. (If there are smaller beets cooking with larger ones, remove the beets as they finish cooking.)
- Cut the rest of the tops and bottoms off and skin the beets by pulling it off with a small knife.
- Cut the beets into chunks or slices and serve right away or freeze for later.
- To freeze for later: Place the beets in a baggie, removing as much air as possible, label and put in the freezer. Use within 6-9 months for best quality.
Other Vegetables You Can Easily Freeze:
Note: This popular AOC post was originally published in 2010 and has been updated with all new photos, pinnable image, formatting and printable recipe for your convenience.
Subscribe & Keep Track of Your Preserved Food