Incredible Ice Cream Without A Machine
You won’t believe how easy it is to make this homemade chocolate ice cream without a machine with just 5 real food ingredients. And not just any ice cream, but one of the smoothest richest ice creams you’ve had.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 2 quarts 1x
- 1 tsp. instant espresso powder or instant coffee (optional)
- 1 TB. hot water
- 8 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2–1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- If using the coffee powder, add it to a small cup with the tablespoon of hot water and stir until dissolved.
- Combine the condensed milk, chocolate, vanilla, dissolved coffee, and salt in a glass bowl or 4-cup measure. Microwave for 45 seconds and stir for up to a minute to completely melt the chocolate (alternately, cook over a double boiler or low flame, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted). Set aside to cool.
- Whip the cream with a mixer until soft peaks form. Add a portion of the whipped cream to the chocolate mixture and fold in. Then pour all the chocolate into the remaining whipped cream, folding with a spatula until mixed with very few white streaks left.
- Pour into a freezable container, cover, and freeze for at least 6 hours- better is overnight.
Ice Cream Without a Machine Variations:
- Vanilla Bean: Omit coffee, water, and chocolate- add another teaspoon of vanilla, plus a vanilla bean that’s been chopped fine in a processor.
- Chocolate Chip: Omit coffee, water, and chocolate; increase vanilla to 2 tsp. and add 1/2 cup (or more…) chocolate chips after folding milk mixture into whipped cream. Update: see Incredible Chocolate Chip Ice Cream post for specific instructions – this is Brian’s favorite!
- Mint Chocolate Chip: same as chocolate chip, but replace vanilla with 1 tsp. of pure peppermint extract.
- Peanut Butter-Chocolate: Mix about a 1/2 cup of peanut butter with a tablespoon of honey and swirl it in when folding or after partially freezing to prevent it from falling to the bottom. If you don’t want swirls of peanut butter, but just the flavor, mix the peanut butter into the condensed milk with the chocolate.
- Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip: Omit coffee, water, and chocolate (melted in); mix in 1/2 cup peanut butter to the sweetened condensed milk. Fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips after mixing into whipped cream.
- Mocha Almond: Increase coffee powder to 2-3 tsp. (depending on strength desired) and water to 2 Tb. and fold in swirls of chocolate syrup and chopped almonds after mixing milk mixture and whipped cream (or after partially freezing).
- I also found a Lemon Ice Cream version on this website where the author uses lemon juice and powdered sugar instead of condensed milk.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links and by clicking on them you help support AOC at no extra cost to you – thanks so much! Plus you can trust I’ll only share what I love. (You can always read our entire disclosure page here.)
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables