Homemade Mini Almond Joy Brownies
For the Brownies:
- 1/4 cup butter plus more for greasing the muffin tins
- 1/4 cup coconut oil*
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder optional- enhances the chocolate flavor
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Filling:
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk**
- 36 whole roasted almonds
For the Ganache:
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chopped or chips
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
Make the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 36 mini muffin cups using a pastry brush and softened butter.
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine the butter, coconut oil, and sugar. Stir over low heat until the butter and coconut oil are melted; continue to heat until the mixture is hot (110-120 degrees), but not bubbling (heating to this point will dissolve more of the sugar which creates a shiny top on your brownies).
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and beat them with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder and vanilla until smooth. Add the hot sugar mixture and stir. Add the flour and beat til smooth. Quickly stir in the chocolate chips (not too much or they will all melt).
- Use a small cookie scoop (or some other way to get an even amount of batter into each cup) to fill the mini muffin tin cups evenly with the batter.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Place tins on a rack to cool before removing brownies.
Make the Filling:
- Combine the coconut and the sweetened condensed milk in a medium sized bowl until well mixed.
- Scoop about a teaspoon of coconut mixture onto the center of each cooled brownie, molding it into a smooth top. Place an almond in the center of each coconut mound.
- Freeze the mini brownies for 15 minutes.
For the Ganache Glaze:
- Combine all the ganache ingredients in a microwave-safe glass dish or in the top of a double boiler over a low burner and heat just until melted (about 30 seconds in the microwave).
- Remove the brownies from the freezer and dip the tops in the ganache glaze. Let sit until glaze is set and then store in an airtight container.
Other Easy Treats You May Like:
Note: this recipe was first published in 2011 and has been updated with pinnable image, new formatting and printable recipe. Enjoy!
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables