Best Homemade Ranch Dressing & Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk add 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar to milk to equal 1/2 cup if you can't find real buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley or 3 tablespoons chopped fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried dill to taste or 1 teaspoon fresh
- Combine sour cream, buttermilk, and lemon juice in a pint jar or quart mixing bowl. Shake or whisk to mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and shake (or whisk) again until well combined. If using a bowl, transfer to a dressing container with lid.
- *NOTE: If you like your dressing thicker, mix the sour cream and seasonings first, then add the buttermilk slowly until you reach the desired consistency.*
- Refrigerate one or more hours before using, and taste to adjust seasonings after dressing.
- Shake well before each use.
Here are a few more of our favorite homemade dressings:
Mason Jar Gift-Ranch Salad Dressing & Printable Tag (our classic recipe made into a mix with directions)
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published in 2011.
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists