Parmesan Rice Cakes
Your whole family will love the flavor of this favorite side dish – it’s a crispy, cheesy way to use up leftover rice!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 8-10 cakes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs*
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup onion, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper (or to taste)
- oil for pan
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well (Tip: if mixture seems dry, add another egg – it should hold together, but not be too runny).
- Heat oil on a nonstick griddle or in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, place a dollop of rice mixture on the griddle/pan, then use the back of the cup to flatten into a patty. Repeat with remaining rice mixture.
- Cook the first side until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes, then flip and cook the other side until brown.
- Serve immediately.
*Update: You can omit the bread crumbs by increasing the cheese to 1 cup. Proceed with recipe as normal.
To Make Ahead:
Cover cooled patties and refrigerate until needed (or even freeze), reheating them in a 350 degree oven (or even on the grill) for a few minutes until warm and crisp.
- Serving Size: 2 cakes
- Calories: 285
- Sugar: 1.4g
- Sodium: 592mg
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 44.6g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
Keywords: parmesan, rice, leftover
This recipe has been updated- it was first published in March of 2009. This parmesan rice cakes recipe is so popular with my family that I published it in the first months of AOC’s first year – if any recipe deserves to be updated, it’s this one!
More easy side dishes you may like:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists