Rhubarb Honey Crumb Bars
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 3/4 cup honey or maple syrup, though will affect flavor
- 2 tablespoons organic cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Cookie Crust & Topping:
- 1 ½ cups whole rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter softened (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- Combine filling ingredients in a large saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until thick and rhubarb is starting to break down, about 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool while continuing with the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13 x 9 inch pan with parchment, leaving some to hang over sides to lift bars after cooked (or grease well).
- Add all crumb crust and topping ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and stir until combined and large crumbs form. Set aside 1 ½ cups for the topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Pour cooled rhubarb mixture over crust and then sprinkle with the reserved crumbs for the topping, pressing down slightly.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until browning around edges and filling is bubbling some.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before lifting bars out of the pan using the parchment and cutting into 24 bars. Serve within a couple of days or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Other rhubarb recipes you may like:
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables