Rich Cornbread with Honey Butter
- 3/4 cup fine cornmeal
- 1-1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter melted + extra for skillet or baking pan
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. If using a baking pan, butter a 9x9-inch pan; if using an iron skillet, place it in the oven to heat.
- Combine the dry ingredients (the first 5) in a mixing bowl.
- In a 2-cup glass measure, stir together the honey, sour cream, milk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Quickly mix the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined.
- Spread in prepared baking pan OR for iron skillet, remove it from the oven, add 1 TB. of butter and when it's melted, spread the cornbread batter evenly in the skillet.
- Bake pan for 20 minutes and skillet for about 17 minutes, rotating halfway through if needed.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into pieces. Make the honey butter while bread is cooling.
Make Honey Butter:
- Combine butter and honey, stirring until thoroughly mixed.
- Note: I've found the honey butter doesn't last as well at room temperature, so I only make a small amount to use in one or two sittings. Increase the ingredients if you'd like to make a larger amount, but I'd recommend keeping it in the refrigerator.
More Quick Breads You May Like:
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe & Get Simple Real Food Dinner Menus + Shopping Lists