Slow Cooker Sausage Bean Soup with Spinach & Tomatoes (with Instant Pot directions, too)
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Soups
- Method: Slow Cook
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked white or pinto beans, drained (use beans from your freezer or 1-2 cans)
- 1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (12-140z) tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cups dry red wine (or more water)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 4 cups fresh chopped spinach (or 10-oz pkg. frozen spinach, thawed)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste – will depend on what kind of broth you’re using)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan for topping
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Crumble the sausage in a large skillet, and cook until no longer pink over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook with sausage for a few minutes longer.
- Scrape contents of skillet into the bowl of a 4-qt or larger slow cooker. Add beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, broth, wine, herbs and cayenne, if using.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Stir spinach into soup, adding salt and pepper as needed. Cook for another hour on HIGH.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Set Instant Pot setting to sauté and add sausage, breaking it up as you stir. When starting to brown, add the onion and garlic. Stir well, cooking until the sausage is browned through.
- Add the cooked beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, water, basil, oregano, thyme, and cayenne.
- Cancel the sauté function and select manual, high pressure. Set the instant pot to cook for a 5 minute cook time.
- The pot may take up to 10 minutes or so to come to pressure, but since the contents are already hot, it will pressurize quicker. Once the cooking cycle has finished, do a 10 minute natural release and then a quick release.
- Remove lid, stir in the spinach, adding the salt and pepper, and replace the lid for a few minutes to let the spinach wilt – no need to cook – the heat of the soup will wilt the spinach.
Serve the soup with grated parmesan and a good crusty bread.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Sodium: 1300mg
- Fat: 17.1g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrates: 12.3g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 16.6g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
Keywords: sausage, bean, soup, slow cook, instant pot, one dish dinner, easy recipe
This recipe has been updated – it was originally published November 2013.
Other Easy Soups You may Like:
Rustic Italian Sausage Soup in 15 minutes
Disclosure: affiliate links in this article will earn commission based on sales, but it doesn’t change your price. Click here to read my full disclaimer and advertising disclosure.
Subscribe to Organize, Plan, Cook & Beautify Your Home with Free Printables